Bordeaux

Bordeaux

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

you mean its in kg?

Yesterday Jeremie and I went to check out a new gym (his old gym had a very funky odor...),the new one is called Amazonia. Amazonia is a gym for France that is actually open at 6am and until 10 or 11 each night (including SUNDAYS!!!!). As we are going through a work out we get to a series of machines with weights, and all of a sudden I realize that I have no idea what each weight represents to me, heavy, light, medium ect. I should know better but I forgot. In french the word "pound" doesn't exist, the word for it is actually "un livre", the same word for a book. I guess maybe certain books would weight a pound.
I find it funny, because Amazonia markets itself not only because of its flexible hours but because of its risk free environment. It's, in short, an idiot proofed work out environment....but its cheap, open all the time and the room is really nice, it's a internal courtyard that has a greenhouse like cover over it, with 17th century columns all around.
Tomorrow we leave for Paris, in the late afternoon and return on Sunday night. The weather in Bordeaux has been the coldest its been since 1987! Now its starting to get warmer, but there is a lot of rain coming down. In Paris its supposed to be incredibly cold, like Bordeaux was, with potential snow. I am still looking forward to it! Look forward to the next update! Love Sarah

4 comments:

  1. Sarah,
    Good story about the gym a la francais(e?) I was thinking of myself - I have problems with weight estimation in an American gym! (What is the etymology of "livre"?)
    It's raining this morning in LA - not nearly as romantic as la neige parisienne. Take care .

    ReplyDelete
  2. The gym sounds nice; don't work too hard.

    Ugh! What I wouldn't give to be in Bdx or heading to Paris right now, instead of trudging along each day in the Washington winter. It's not romantic. But I have new snow boots that make it better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your classes sound interesting. Grammar does not!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always went with the safe: "1/2 a kg is a lb" theory while in Australia. Still seems weird to me though...

    ReplyDelete