Bordeaux

Bordeaux

Sunday, January 31, 2010

private lessons update...

So last week, I have my first private client for English lessons. I was pretty impressed with him, his name is Maxine, because he read the articles that I brought him and he answered the comprehension questions well, with a lot of mistakes, but at least he can understand. So for him its pretty easy, just grammar exercises. He is a senior in high school, here they can have different specialties in high school, so he is a "social economic" specialty. He wants to go into one of the Political Science schools in France, which are incredibly competitive, but he might be able to if he works really hard.
My other student, is a girl from a different high school, who has the same specialty, and wants to go to the same school as my other student. I find it hilarious, so over the phone I said that actually I another student preparing for the same test! BONUS! I was really happy. The only problem is that she can't read the articles on her own, she has very very poor vocabulary and her grammar is even worse. So with two hours a week, I hope that I can improve her skills, but its going to be a lot of work. The thing is I think that she wants to improve, and will work really hard with whatever I give her, so she might actually end up getting in. I was really sad though, I had this article about "healthcare", from the states, specifically the online Los Angeles Times, to show that I am from socal, and she asked what "healthcare" was. I had prepared definitions for every other word that would be difficult, but definitely not for healthcare. So for her, I have tons of vocabulary that we are going to go over. And I have to learn to speak really really slowly for her to understand me.
Much love to all! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment